Acc280 Financial Accounting
Chapter 3 Adjusting the Accounts
Emeril Corporation encounters the following situations:
Identify what type of adjusting entry (prepaid expense, unearned revenue, accrued expense, accrued revenue) is needed in each situation, at December 31, 2008.
1. Emeril collects $1,000 from a customer in 2008 for services to be performed in 2009.
2. Emeril incurs utility expense which is not yet paid in cash or recorded.
3. Emeril's employees worked 3 days in 2008, but will not be paid until 2009.
4. Emeril earned service revenue but has not yet received cash or recorded the transaction.
5. Emeril paid $2,000 rent on December 1 for the 4 months starting December 1.
6. Emeril received cash for future services and recorded a liability until the revenue was earned.
7. Emeril performed consulting services for a client in December 2008. On December 31, it billed the client $1,200.
8. Emeril paid cash for an expense and recorded an asset until the item was used up.
9. Emeril purchased $900 of supplies in 2008; at year-end, $400 of supplies remain unused.
10. Emeril purchased equipment on January 1, 2008; the equipment will be used for 5 years.
11. Emeril borrowed $10,000 on October 1, 2008, signing an 8% one-year note payable.